Thursday, 18 October 2007

Preston Blair and Oswald the Lucky Rabbit studies

Here are some of my Preston Blair copies...ugh, I hate using that word. Though I suppose it's true enough. Maybe "studies" sounds better...*ponders*

Anyway, I think one of my main recurring problems is that my lines are too sketchy...hopefully I'll get a bit more confident with my lines soon.

They have their errors (especially bottom-right Jerry - left arm is too long, I think), but overall I think they turned out pretty well.


I don't think these are so good, but I think I need to take a better look at them to see where I went wrong exactly - I'm thinking the cranium of the right-hand one is off.

Not bad, but a little inaccurate.
Looks cute, but not a very accurate copy of the original...the ears are far too long, mouth is wrong, the angle is not quite right and the eyes don't look as wide-open as the original.

I need to get back to studying the book, hopefully fixing my mistakes while I'm at it.

While I was at it, I decided to give some of John K's animation lessons a try. Before starting the actual animation, I decided to try drawing the characters. I can't find my drawings of Bosco (or Bosko, however you spell it). but he wasn't much of a problem. For some reason, I had the hardest time trying to draw Oswald right...I think I got there in the end, but here's how it went...


Oswald the Lucky Rabbit...looks pretty easy to draw, right?


Too fat, too skinny, too tall, too short, wonky limbs, wrong angles, messed up facial features...the list is endless. It was at this point I was starting to lose it. He looks so simple, but for some reason I couldn't get it right. As you can see, I was also starting to lose interest, judging by the rather half-assed doodles in the corner.
I decided to take it right down to circles and lines to see if that helped, and added a line of action just for good measure.
As good as it's gonna get, I suppose.

And I haven't even started the animation part!

Well, I'll post some more later, hopefully looking better.

No comments: