Saturday, 21 June 2008

Sody doodles





Sody's fun to draw ^_^

I make her way too innocent though. It's not until the very last image that I seem to have attempted any kind of sexiness. It's probably because I keep thinking of the fact her age is meant to be about 15... I have never met a 15 year-old girl like Sody. Or should I say, a 15 year-old with a body like Sody's. Which I suppose makes sense as she's a cartoon girl, but if I was to give her an age judging by the pictures I've seen, it would be 17 at the youngest.

I just have to get that out of my head. She is "cartoon age".

4 comments:

Hammerson said...

Yeah, Sody's fun... and also bloody difficult to draw, possibly the hardest of all John K. characters. You're doing well with her. I love those sketches, they show a nice range and understanding of the character. Also, the practice drawings from previous post look quite good.

Lynsey said...

Thanks! To me she's one of the easier characters - I'm so used to drawing girls, haha!

I think Jimmy is the toughest. He has a sort of floppiness to him that can look good when a skilled cartoonist draws him, terrible when you haven't yet got the skills/understanding (that's why I don't have any drawings of him up - they all stink!). I guess it's down to the individual

Hammerson said...

You're right about Jimmy! A Spumco artist (can't remember who) said once that only John and Jim Smith are capable of drawing Jimmy without any mistake.
I can do a good copy of Jimmy's original poses and expressions, but I'm still having problems whenever I try something of my own - usually I draw him too contorted and he loses the cuteness and appeal in the final result.

Lynsey said...

Whenever I draw him, I make him look too....intelligent! I can't seem to draw him as the lovable dummy he is.

All this talk of Jimmy is making me want to sit down and put some effort into getting him right!